Thursday, January 28, 2010

iPad, another Newton?



So, we now have a new iGadget for some to obsess about, the iPad a new piece of kit from Apple that looks like an iPod Touch with growth hormone problems. Sure it looks sexy, and as usual the marketing surrounding it was flawless in execution, however being the geek that I am I feel the need to point out a couple of (what I think are) serious omissions.

- No USB, sorry apple I can't live without this, for reasons of resilience most stuff I value is on USB sticks or drives so not being able to access them directly means I can't use this device for anything other than the pre-canned stuff you spoon feed me.

- No SD slot, again my camera puts photo's onto SD cards (among other devices) if I can't access them directly then this device would slow me down and waste hours of my life watching progress bars

- No multi-tasking, this isn't an issue for simple applications but I'm not a simple application user so again, this rules the device out for a large swath of things I'd want to do with it to justify the price tag.

- No Adobe flash support, come on Apple get over your little spat with Adobe and support the most ubiquitous graphical presentation vehicle in the world, it's just childish.

All in all a massive "so what" on my new gadget-o-meter, it will be interesting to see how this plays out..

2 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Somehow I don't think it will take off. It's far too large for a mobile phone.

Steve Borthwick said...

A Blue-tooth headset would be the solution I suppose.. but then they make you look like a pillock.. :)