Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Welcome to Reading city limits.


It's official, my local metropolis, Reading, has hit the big time, Gordon Brown has indicated his support for the town to be re-designated a city during the Queen's jubilee year (2012). Now, depending on how you perceive our Prime Minister's standing in the country this could be either very good news or an indication that this goal now stands a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

Anyway, regardless of this endorsement I think making Reading a proper city would be a great idea, although I must be honest, I'm not sure what extra stuff you get if you're a city verses a being a large town? I suppose "prestige" is the main deliverable from such a switch, although I'm not entirely sure how I can leverage that as a regular "citizen"? It will be interesting to see what happens.

6 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Wosshe gonna do about the underpass? Concrete canyon!

Steve Borthwick said...

CB fill it with snow and turn it into a giant ski cross course, what else? :)

Gerrarrdus said...

Have you seen Gordon Brown's track record on endorsing things? You'll be lucky if the only building left is Caversham Waitrose.

Chairman Bill said...

The Reading Winter Olympics - nest idea.

Steve Borthwick said...

G, as long as its Waitrose, the good burgers of Caversham wouldn't stand for being left with just a Lidl! ;)

Gerrarrdus said...

I went to Waitrose Caversham for an install very early one morning. Assumed Waitrose was in Caversham town centre. I spent an hour following signs saying "Town Centre" and wondering why I kept ending up the wrong side of the river.