Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The oldest game in town


It's been a quiet 7 days on this blog, I've not read or seen much as we've been away for a little break and I wasn't allowed to pack my laptop (orders from on high!) I'm not sure about this kind of blatant censorship, it doesn't feel right to me, anyway, luckily I was able to get a couple of "read-only" fixes via my phone and I see that a little blasphemy story has bubbled up in the last couple of days.

Apparently a Pakistani doctor is being held under Blasphemy law because he threw away the business card of a salesman who had the name "Mohammed". Now we're all well used to this kind of irrational nonsense from theocratic states, there are a plethora of examples to choose from, however what amused me more was the analysis from the Pakistani press. Critics say the laws should be removed because they are increasingly "used to settle grudges, persecute minorities and promote extremism" - and there we have it ladies and gentlemen, a nice summary of one of the strategic pillars of all mono-theistic religions spanning the last 4000 years. Come on people, blasphemy has ALWAYS been used for this purpose.

So, please, all moderate and civilised Muslims in Pakistan, wake up and smell the pakola, ditch these superstitious medieval throw-backs as soon as you can!!!

3 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

We're off to St Ives on Saturday. No Wi-Fi in the rented house (positively Stone Age) and the mem sahib doesn't want me to take the laptop in any case.

Bought the boy a cheap APad for Xmas and hope that will give me my daily fix from an internet-enabled hostelry I know of.

Steve Borthwick said...

CB, you know I don't get it, we're not allowed to take laptops but I bet our respective better halves wouldn't think twice about packing a book or two, ah well, ours not to reason why.. etc.. ;)

I must admit though I fancy one of this skinny notepad devices, bit pricey at the moment though!

Elizabeth said...

that is so funny that you were banned from high-tech toys but managed to sneak a quick peek or two into cyberspace.

Hope you enjoyed your break. glad you are back though.