Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Love is...

30 years ago for me it was a little black box like this..?


Back in 1981 this little design icon represented the cutting edge of computing power that ordinary people could realistically buy and use. I was one of those excited young purchasers who waited by the post box for weeks listening for that tell tale "ding-dong" that signified a package too big to fit through the letter box. Sure there were other machines around like early Apples and business machines like Osborne's but they were way out of my price league, the Sinclair was actually affordable, if I remember correctly it came in at £79.95. For this princely sum I got a basic computer and a new hobby that I loved, later that hobby turned into a job and subsequently a career leading to a marriage, a family and I guess you could say a nice life ever since; all that for (in today's money) the price of a tank of petrol.

Thanks Clive.

2 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

There are some on eBay. £12 odd, if you're quick...

Steve Borthwick said...

CB, my wife would kill me, more junk she'd say... ;) Funny enough I sold mine in 1985 for £50 to a guy who was just leaving for a stint on a nuclear submarine.