Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Well done Peter Robinson!


I read a little story on the BBC web site today that made me feel more hopeful that the troubles in Northern Ireland might actually be over. Peter Robinson who is the first minister has said that he will attend the funeral of recently murdered (Catholic) policeman Ronan Kerr. This is significant because since the 1560s (approx) the Catholic mass has been verboten for Protestants and even modern day political figures of that persuasion have not attended Catholic funerals, no matter how much they felt sympathy for the bereaved.

For a Atheist like me the fact that a medieval spat regarding which magic spells are mumbled at a church service can override human solidarity in the face of violent intolerance is simply baffling, I'm so glad I have no such constraints.

No comments: