Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Random world


I spotted this amazing photograph today, it's the winner of the 2012 Pulitzer prize for breaking news photography and shows the simply heart rending scene of a young girl screaming in fear as a suicide bomb is detonated in a crowded street in Kabul (Afghanistan). The bomb was pitched against Shiite Muslims during one of their religious festivals in December 2011. The details of the shot can be read about here but it was taken by Massoud Hossaini of the Agence France Presse. It made me think about another story in the news today, that of Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, it reminded me what a chaotic, random and violent world we live in and prompted me to hug my children for a few seconds longer this evening before they were tucked into bed.

No comments: