Tuesday, February 11, 2014

New Brew


I had a free hour on Saturday afternoon so I took a trip to Finchamstead to visit a new brewery that opened last year, its called "Siren Craft Brew" and is located in a little industrial unit on the outskirts of the village about 3-4 miles from my house. I'm a big fan of small scale brewing initiatives like this, especially local ones and was keen to try a few beers and see what they could offer, I'm glad to report that I wasn't disappointed.

The company has what they call a "core range" of 4 beers and also produce experimental and seasonal brews that you need to snap up when they become available. I tried all of the core beers which were called Soundwave, Undercurrent, Liquid Mistress and Broken Dream. I liked all of them but my favourite was Soundwave, an American style IPA which was fruity, bitter and hop filled. Broken Dream, their stout, was also nice and flavoured with coffee, a little gimmicky perhaps but very complex flavours and probably nice in small quantities with food since it was also quite strong (6%) I bought some bottles directly from the little shop there but the man also told me that they had started supplying Laithwaites and Majestic with mixed boxes, certainly not a cheap beer (£2.50 for 330ml) but definitely not run of the mill.

2 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

So an improvement on meths?

Steve Borthwick said...

CB, I keep the meths for special occasions.