Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Love thy neighbor?


Lot's of people getting agitated about Trumps latest move to block immigration/travel from certain countries for 90 days; it seems like a fairly pointless move to me but I can't get too upset about it. There are plenty of constraints and hurdles to travel already in the world, particularly if you have an Israeli or particular Arab states stamp in your passport. A precedent doesn't make what he's done right of course but I do feel that people are somewhat missing the point, the problem for me isn't so much that he's blocked entry from certain countries but that they are the WRONG countries! I would respect the decision (it's only 90 days) more if the countries were actually countries that have disproportionately large numbers of Islamists in them, like Saudi-Arabia and Pakistan, but I suspect those countries were deemed too big and too financially important to ban.

No comments: